Date:      Sat, 14 Apr 2007 02:06:04 +0200
From:      Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I like Ubuntu

On Friday 13 April 2007 22:49:42 Pete Ehlke wrote:
> On Fri Apr 13, 2007 at 13:10:19 -0500, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
> >Claude Menski wrote:
> >>Why is freebsd better then ubuntu?
> >
> >Because you can still use it if the "U" key is borked?
>
> The answer to this question is, always has been, and always will be:
>
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~marcone/bsdversuslinux.html
>
> -Pete

Just my EUR 0.02. Perhaps even informative...

I got fed up with FreeBSD before. Serveral times. Always returned.

Gentoo? Nice until it explodes in your face. And it takes as much time if not
more to run a desktop compared to FreeBSD.

[K]Ubuntu? I ran kubuntu. It can be great for you if you can stomach their KDE
menu which I think is even worse than vanilla KDE. One nice thing is that
things like Flash can be made to work easily. It's limited if you want to go
beyond what's been considered interesting for the user. I can understand that
but I may not be that user.

Debian? Works out great but you're going to be using old packages or be
tracking repos for them yourself. Perhaps then you might as well build from
source whenever needed. Very reliable though.

Arch? Really great, nice pkg build system but limited (source) package
availability, much worse than FreeBSD. It's somewhat easier to make
ABS "source packages" though but they seem to suffer from a lack of new
developer/maintainer uptake. Or lack of management/QA structure maybe. Well
thought out system though.

One deciding factor for me was my TV card hardware. My own crap on FreeBSD was
just working better whether bktr or saa (I wouldnt say pwc, havent used that
much anyhow) than was v4l or v4l2 on various Linuxen. Of course if you need
to have your peculiar device supported you're likely better off with Linux
I'd wager arch or debain or gentoo may be easier to get a oddball device
working than the *buntu's but never say never). v4l* are very convoluted and
messy. I found it to be buggy and of generally worse performance on the same
machine (probably because of piling layers of abstraction that have to be
toned down again at a higher level).

But yeah if I just want a *NIX desktop that does everything I'd use [k]ubuntu
or another GUI based distro (knoppix or derivative, or other), or if I want
to spend some more time and tune it (and then maybe clone the setups): Arch
or Debian or Gentoo.

Dan