Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 16:46:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   DEVFS: broken in -current as of Jan25

Hi...

	Just rebuilt my kernel (no, that patch I suggested does not work,
at least not in so far as outputing 00:a0:... as my ether address *sigh*)
and rebooted, getting:

FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT #16: Thu Jan 25 16:31:15 EST 1996
    scrappy@freebsd.ki.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/freebsd
CPU: i386DX (386-class CPU)
real memory  = 8781824 (8576K bytes)
avail memory = 6889472 (6728K bytes)
DEVFS: ready for devices
Device tty: name slot allocation failed (E=17)
Device tty: name slot allocation failed (E=17)
Device pty: name slot allocation failed (E=17)
Device tty: name slot allocation failed (E=17)
Device pty: name slot allocation failed (E=17)
Device tty: name slot allocation failed (E=17)
Device pty: name slot allocation failed (E=17)
Device tty: name slot allocation failed (E=17)
Device pty: name slot allocation failed (E=17)
Device tty: name slot allocation failed (E=17)
Device pty: name slot allocation failed (E=17)
Device tty: name slot allocation failed (E=17)
<more below this>

	Looking in /devfs, where I'm mounting the dev fs, it shows alot
less then what I used to get:

freebsd# ls /devfs
console         io              null            stdin           urandom
cuaa1           kmem            pty             stdout          zero
cuaia1          lkm             random          tty
cuala1          log             rfd0.1440       ttyd1
fd              lpt0            spkr            ttyid1
fd0.1440        mem             stderr          ttyld1

	I'm not sure what work is being done on this lately, as I haven't
seen anything new on it, so this might be one of those "ignore it for now"
sort of things, but I figured I'd point it out, just in case.

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 scrappy@ki.net  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc