Date:      Thu, 23 Jun 2005 23:12:09 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_N=F8rgaard?= <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        Jeff MacDonald <bignose@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does Firefox 1.0.4 suck, or is it just me ?

Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> I'm running the firefox 1.0.4 from ports. When I open new tabs up, or
> new windows the whole jobby tends to freeze up on me pretty hard.

Could be memory shortage. I have found opening tabs to be far faster
than opening new windows which makes my firefox hang.

Also, I have noted certain web pages seem to hang the browser while
coding.

Most anoying however is, when I open a new tab - I have a blank page as
start page - it hangs until that blank page is "loaded" before allowing
me to enter a url.

> I tried the linux version from ports, which is just a precompiled
> version 1.0 it works great, only hitch is that Everytime i click my
> icon to run linux-firefox it asks me which profile to use, since
> default is already being used.

This hitch is with linux and native version as well as mozillas suite,
it's due to file locking. Thing is that the running process will be
unaware of any changes to config files bookmarks etc. For the same
reason, you sometimes have to remove a "lock" file if firefox crashes.

Certainly, it could be solved more elegantly with some IPC signal to the
running process opening a new window. This should be trivial since
something similar is used to make thunderbird open a mail editor when
you click a mailto: link in the browser, and similarly, thunderbird can
force opening a webpage from the reader.

> I'm really loving haveing FreeBSD as a desktop, but this is a tad
> frustrating, if anyone can shed some light that would be great.

Honestly, you must be the owner of a rare specie of perfectly running XP
if these issues are what keeps you from using FBSD on your desktop.

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                           web: http://www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt