Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 14:28:06 +0500 (KGT)
From:      CyberPsychotic <fygrave@freenet.bishkek.su>
To:        groggy@iname.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [problem solved]: ownership funnies.

> >  The weird thing now, is that homedir group owner gets changed to user2
> > (for user1) when he logs in.. what may cause it?
>
> just "rmuser" both users.
> then use "adduser" to add them again.

:-), "if something doesn't work, quit and enter again". :) remains me some
old joke.:) Yep. I was close to this step, just wanted to "check one thing
more". The thing which led me away from the source of the problem, is that
in BSD world ownership of parent directory are given to created
files/directories, while with Linux/SVR4(so I was told) euid/egid or
uid/gid pairs are used. And that's where I was looking for the thing to
fix.

> followed by "adduser" should fix
> it.  (the MicroShaft way ;)

definitely.

> adduser is in perl, and you may
> want to read it to see what's
> actually involved.  also, see
> /etc/group in addition to

 yes. I checked adduser source, and that's why I was so surprised, because I
didn't find anything there, but updating pwd.db with -p key, after it
creates user in master.passwd and group files.

 again, thanks to everyone who helped. I guess this tinny think should be
mentioned somewhere in FAQ, since I found this thing pretty confusing for
BSD newcomers:)