Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 11:55:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        smraj@hotmail.com, terry@lambert.org, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem in connecting a machine in network

> malarraj malarraj stands accused of saying:
> >
> >    "Jan 20 11:16:12 apt /kernal: ed0: device time out"
>
> This should be in the FAQ.  This message means that either :
>
>  - you have cabling problems :
>    - your ethernet is broken
>    - you have selected the wrong port (BNC vs. AUI vs. UTP) on the
>      card

I would suspect this one first:

>  - the IRQ setting on the card does not match the kernel's setting.

Run a DOS configuration program to determine the IRQ on the board.

Note: you may have IRQ assignments that you are not aware of:

2/15)	This IRQ is frequently used by video cards for vertical
	retrace interrupt

3/4)	These IRQ's may remain connected, even if you jumper off your
	serial ports in your BIOS or with motherboard jumpers

7)	This is the printer IRQ.  It is also the "garbage" IRQ.  You
	should not use IRQ 7 for anything other than the printer
	port, an even then you can have problems if you have a
	"noisy" card (like a soundblaster) in your system.

*)	You can not share IRQ's with a device, even if it is disabled,
	so long as it is plugged into the bus, it will most likely
	drive the line low.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org