Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 19:45:34 -0500
From:      leegold <leegold@operamail.com>
To:        brownicm@prokyon.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: emacs ques and a ports ques.

>Just a suggestion. Forget emacs and learn vi. I think vi is easier for a new
>user to get a handle on. It's always there on any UNIX-like system. It'll run
>faster because it uses a lot less system resources than emacs.

yeah, I'm adequate on vi and thought I should
experience Emacs, "The King of the Editors".
After 10 minutes of emacs and I was beat to a pulp.
I agree w/you.

>Another suggestion. Since you installed all ports you probably installed
>xemacs, the X version of emacs. Try to uninstall xemacs. Just a wild guess.
>libXaw is a set of X widgets. Installing emacs may have linked emacs and
>xemacs so that calling emacs calls xemacs. This is all pure speculation, of
>course.

Nope, it was emacs 20.7, I think GNU emacs.
Actually I want to try Nedit. If nedit has the
":" command line like vi for regular expressions,
or something like it, it'll be good.