Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 01:55:37 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot loader worry: moving from 3.0-current to -STABLE

Charles Owens wrote:

> I've just read a message or two on one of the lists about some updates
> to the boot loader code that have happened recently in -STABLE.  I have
> a particular remote system (located in eastern Europe, actually) that
> I'm in the process of upgrading, and I'd appreciate it very much if
> someone could assure me that the new boot loader arrangement will not
> keep my the system from coming back up once I reboot.

Well, I have seen only one such message. All the changes to loader
were gradually introduced on -current, and left there a *long* while
before brought into -stable. And they were brought into -stable at
least two weeks before 3.2, I think.

If you want to absolutely avoid any possible problem (that I can
think of), remove the file /boot/loader.rc that is installed by 3.2.
Of course, the system *should* work with that file as installed, but
since someone complained, I can't dismiss the possibility that there
could possibly be a situation where things did not work after the
upgrade.

The upgrade in the loader itself should cause no trouble to anyone.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you."