Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:55:53 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
To:        andrew-freebsd@areilly.bpc-users.org
Cc:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/104311: ports/wine should be installable on amd64

> That won't work with wine, I'm fairly certain.  In order to look
> sufficiently similar to a Windows environment, you have to have
> something that looks like DLLs.  Wine, just like Windows, has a
> gazillion dynamically loadable libraries, for that reason.
> Run-time linking is very much part of the windows experience...

Ah, O.K. - do theres a Unix linkable shared library to match each
Windows DLL ? Didn't realise that, I assumed it just used the actual
Windows DLL's directly somehow.

The other part of the question about making ports link staticly still
stands though - anyone know of an easy way to do this ?

cheers,

-pete.