Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 11:05:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI DMA lockups in 3.2 (3.3 maybe?)

:
:[snip]
:>   I am a good programmer and can fix things :-).  But I've had to deal with
:>   a number of nightmare situations by commercial entities deploying FreeBSD
:>   and at least three (including one very recently) where commercial entities
:>   have refused to upgrade past 2.2.x due to perceived stability problems.
:[snip]
:>
:> 					-Matt
:> 					Matthew Dillon
:
:	we can not identify the specific problem from this message.
:without sufficient information to indentify and hopefully reproduce
:the problem, we can not address it.  please provide this information
:if it is available to you. if it is not, please provide us contact
:information for the commercial entities experiencing the problem.
:
:jmb

    First, the statement was anecdotal -- all of the problems have been
    fixed in -current.  Second, these people posted their questions and
    problems on -hackers or -stable or -current and got not one useful
    response, then came to me privately and asked for help.  For you,
    or anyone, to attempt to dismiss the statement by implying help after
    the fact is bogus.  This being a freeware development project it is
    perfectly ok to say "I can't help" or "I don't have time".  It is NOT
    ok to imply help when none would otherwise be forthcoming.

    Two commercial entities approached me on helping fix INN bugs.  Those
    turned out to be related to a VM/mmap bug (2.x, 3.x, 4.x), which I fixed
    in 4.x, and a swap bug (2.x, 3.x) which I couldn't fix in 2.x or 3.x
    but which was already fixed in 4.x by the rewrite of the swap code I
    had done earlier in the year.  This bug turned out to be a KVM
    fragmentation problem due to the large linear arrays that 2.x and 3.x
    allocate for swap metadata.  I had another commercial entity approach
    me in regards to dealing with low-memory lockup problems which, again,
    I was unable to completely fix in 3.x but was able to fix in 4.x because
    of the getnewbuf() rewrite.  I had another commercial entity approach me
    in regards to the ps/procfs problem (before Poul went on his procfs
    rampage) and I gave that person the workaround I used at BEST, which is
    simply to flock() around the procfs code in /bin/ps to force serialization.

    That's just the recent stuff, off the top of my head.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>