Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 01:07:15 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        John Daniels <jmd526@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-qa@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-RELEASE Install

John Daniels wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I installed 4.0-RELEASE on March 15th from ftp.freebsd.org and found these
> problems:
>
> 1. "Unable to extract local distribution"
>
> I had the same problem with 4.0-RC3.  What is the local distribution?  Is it
> important?  Has this been fixed? Can I now get it using /stand/sysinstall?

Jordan never clarified this, but I have always thought this refers to an
arbitrary set of files, so that you can create distributions of your own
to be automatically installed on your network. Ie, "local" distribution.
:-)

> 2. "Package RSAREF was not found in the Index"
>
> Again, can I now get this using /stand/sysinstall?

Well, that I can't even test.

> 3. After the system rebooted, I logged in a user account but I got the
> message "could not lookup internet address for ..."  when I started x.  (I
> hit a "continue" button or something and X did start - but Netscape did not
> connect to any web pages)  Perhaps my NIC was not being made available as a
> device to the user account?

That doesn't happen.

> I don't recall getting the message under root, but I haven't yet tested
> Netscape under root either.  Is there some privilege that I have to set, or
> some group that a user must belong to that will allow access to the NIC?

No. Can you do a simple ping to local network addresses by IP? And
addresses outside your LAN? If so, does nslookup works? Your problem
might be either one of misconfiguration of the network (wrong network
IP/mask or misconfiguration of default router), or one of
misconfiguration of DNS.

> 4. I wasn't asked if I wanted to sync my clock with an outside source.  Is
> this because I didn't activate named?  How can I activeate named now?
> (stand/sysinstall?)

This has nothing to do with named. We simply do not do that by default.
If you want to sync your clock with an outside source, read the ntp man
page.

> 5. By CVSup-ing, I can keep my sources up-to-date, but how do I know thta is
> safe to make and install a new kernel?  (I have been wondering this about
> those who track -CURRENT)

WRT stable, you may _assume_ it is safe. Sometimes, it isn't, and that's
our fault. Mostly, it is.

If you plan to follow -current, you need to read -current and cvs-all
mailing lists, and also pay attention to /usr/src/UPDATING. And, then,
you simply don't know it's safe, because it hasn't been tested except in
limited enviroments. It's -current users that make the larger testing
environment.

> I know that it is always a good idea to keep a previously workign kernel
> around, but how do you tell the system, on boot, to use the old one?

When the system starts the 10 seconds count down before booting,
interrupt it and then enter the following commands:

unload
boot <KERNEL>.old

where <KERNEL> is the name of your kernel, of course.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

        One IP to bring them all and in the zone bind them.