Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2014 10:15:31 +0100
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        soumya panigrahi <soumyapanigrahi@gmail.com>
Cc:        Giuseppe Lettieri <giuseppe.lettieri73@gmail.com>, Vincenzo Maffione <v.maffione@gmail.com>, "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Handling Jumbo Packets

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 7:40 AM, soumya panigrahi <soumyapanigrahi@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all I would like to thank you all for developing an awesome
> packet capturing framework.
> I have been using it recently and find it very very fast and efficient.
>
> However off late I am trying to capture Jumbo packets on the network for
> the following scenario's but that doesn't seem to be working.

the sysctl tree dev.netmap (on FreeBSD)
or the filesystem
/sys/module/netmap_lin/parameters
 (on Linux)
have a number of parameters that control buffer numbers and sizes.
In particular "buf_size" is used to allocate packet buffers and
you can bump it up from 2048 to something larger to accommodate
jumbo buffers.

Depending on the NIC you may need to do something in the initialization
of the NIC itself to allow sending/receiving frames larger than 1518 bytes,
but I'd just try and see whether it works for you now.

cheers
luigi

--
 Prof. Luigi RIZZO, rizzo@iet.unipi.it  . Dip. di Ing. dell'Informazione