Date:      Thu, 27 Nov 2008 14:03:20 +0000
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Subject:   FreeBSD Window updates

I was looking at some tcpdumps from a FreeBSD box receiving a TCP
stream with someone yesterday and noticed that it seemed to be
generating quite a lot of dupliacte acks. Looking more carefully,
we noticed that the duplicates were actually window updates. The
code for sending window updates can be found in:

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/netinet/tcp_output.c?annot
ate=1.157

around lines 541-565. It seems that we generate a window update if
the available buffer space changes by more than two packets, or if
it changes by more than half the buffer size. This is probably a
little aggressive, and in some cases seems to result in bursts of
window updates that look like they should be batched. I wonder if
it would make sense to not do a window update if a delayed ack is
scheduled? It might even be possible to do them as a delayed ack
without causing problems.

I note that there is at least one PR mentioning we generate many
window updates:

I also wonder if it might cause non-FreeBSD senders to back off,
we are careful not to retransmit if we get window updates (see

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/netinet/tcp_input.c?annota
te=1.392

about line 1836, but other OSes might not be and that might degrade
our performance when receiving from a non-FreeBSD sender.

	David.