Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 04:54:40 -0500
From:      "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@sc.rr.com>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@sc.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: too much confusion over kernel building

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 10:27:04PM +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 18 Jan 2001, at 4:24, Donald J . Maddox wrote:
>
> > I agree.  Frankly, there is no reason I can think of where the use of
> > buildkernel/installkernel would be in any meaningful way superior to
> > the old method *except* in the case of a toolchain upgrade that requires
> > new tools to build the new source.
>
> There is the added advantage that the "new" method involves fewer
> steps. And That Is A Good Thing (tm), especially for people new to
> FreeBSD.  If they get get a kernel to compile and work the first time,
> without problems, it gives them a *big* boost.  The few steps, the hard
> to mess up.

For people new to FreeBSD, it's really not as simple as:

# make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
# make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL

At this point, the newbie has already had to:

# cd /usr/src/sys/<arch>/conf
# cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
# vi MYKERNEL
...  Agonizes over incomprehensible options/devices ...

All of this is required regardless of whether you use 'the old
method' or 'the new method'.

At this point, the newbie can:

a)  # config MYKERNEL
    # cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
    # make depend
    # make
    # make install

b)  # cd /usr/src
    # make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
    # make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL

Sure, b) has 2 less steps, but frankly, I think the difference is
lost in the noise.  Actually creating a working custom config seems
to be the showstopper for most folks.  In any case, talking about 2
different ways of doing this is *sure* to confuse lots of people :)