Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:56:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      ML Duke <mlduke@concentric.net>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbies First Aid Kit

>    FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG is the place to send all questions about
>    installing, configuring, running and using FreeBSD. All help requests
>    are handled by FreeBSD-Questions, including newbies questions.

A newbie can also get trashed there, without even knowing why. This is
not to say some trashings, even most, are not deserved. I was lucky
and met my Mentor and now good friend, there, but I have no doubt that
many a newbie just gave it up after a few experiences on questions.

>    FreeBSD-Newbies is different. We don't ask for help or answer how-to
>    questions. It is a discussion forum for newbies.

I've been on this list, off and on, for some time. You keep saying the
above, even harping on it, it seems, no disrespect intended. Why?

What is the harm? We all know questions is the place for answers, but
what is wrong with a rank newbie,, or even an experienced one, throwing
out a question he/she is not quite sure how to frame on questions to
other newbies?

If it does not get answered, so be it. I've seen some answered accurately,
others did not have a clue and even answered a few (which I always do in
private).

It is quite beyond me how a forum like this can _avoid_ questions, given
the subject matter. But you seem passionate about stopping them. I can
only ask, again, why?

Please don't just say it's "policy" or something on that order.

ML Duke