Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 22:03:11 -0500
From:      Rob Andrews <rob@cyberpunkz.org>
To:        Matthew Graybosch <matthew@starbreaker.net>
Cc:        Stanley Hopcroft <Stanley.Hopcroft@IPAustralia.gov.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How does FreeBSD make a difference in a government context ?

--TU+u6i6jrDPzmlWF

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 09:01:42PM -0400, Matthew Graybosch wrote:
> Sorry, I just got word from my boss that he INSISTED that I buy a
> copy of Windows XP professional and use it on my home box instead
> of FreeBSD. I'm still a little riled.

I wonder, how is it that your boss thinks that you should pay for this
if *he* is insisting upon it..  I mean isn't it fairly ignorant that
you should have to take money out of your own pocket to buy a piece
of software you have no use for?  Tell him to buy you a PC for home
and to make the company pay for the software they wish you to use.

Otherwise I'd tell him to frag off..  :)  Would make for a wonderful
lawsuit..  "Employee fired for not using MS products on his home PC"
Ahhh..  I can see it now :)

[ -snip- ]
=20
> All I can suggest is that you drown them in favorable numbers.

As much as I would like to believe that possible, as I pointed out
in a private email to the originator of this thread, The problem=20
you get into is simple.  "This is the way we've been doing things
for years and we're not going to change it over night"  Which=20
translates into: "We have been getting screwed for years and we
know it but at least we get support and updates for a reduced cost
and fact remains we have become too dependant as well ignorant of
ways to change and support ourselves"

Now if you go from that aspect on, you can imagine what my email
in private was concidering it was about 2 to 3 pages of my own
insights from the government and larger corperations point of
view..  You can bash them with numbers all day, but the fact remains
that in the end you have a group of older people in the management
sectors that do not understand nor have the reasoning to care as
to why or what or how to change.  "If its working there is now
need to fix it.  If its broke we fix what we have until it can
no longer supported due to it being outdated and decayed"

Cheers..=20

--=20
Rob Andrews
Administrator