Date:      Sun, 05 Apr 2009 09:23:45 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating Perl..

--------------enig430636AC9B6565BD05AE7BAE

Leslie Jensen wrote:
> Hello list.
>=20
> When one updates perl, one should rebuild all ports dependend on perl=20
> according to the UPDATING file.
>=20
> I'm just wondering, isn't the script "perl-after-upgrade" supposed to d=
o=20
> the work needed, so that one can save the time of upgrading the ports?

It depends on the upgrade.  For 5.8.8 -> 5.8.9 then perl-after-upgrade
works fine: this is because there is binary compatibility so that .so
modules compiled for 5.8.8 will load just fine into 5.8.9. The work of
perl-after-upgrade is simply to move files from
/usr/local/lib/perl/site_perl/5.8.8 to .../5.8.9

For the upgrade from 5.8.[89] to 5.10.0, there is no binary compatibility=

so all perl modules that install loadable binaries will have to be
recompiled.  Rather than trying to produce a long list of what modules
are pure perl and what aren't the advice is simply to reinstall everythin=
g.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20