Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 2002 13:54:09 +0200
From:      Bent Ole =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hagel=F8kken?= <boh@nextra.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mount_smbfs; unable to open connection: syserr = RPC struct is bad

Hi!

I've been having a problem with mount_smbfs lately. This used to work:

su-2.05a# mount_smbfs -I hostname.win -W workgroup
//username@workgroup-win-host/share/ /mnt/win1/
Password:
mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = RPC struct is bad

..But as you can see - I now (suddenly) get this error when trying to
connect.

I have usually kept this share mounted at all times but I have no idea
whether the Windows-host has been rebooted in the period when this
stopped working. I know, however, for a fact that it has not been
patched in any way during this time, nor has it been given any type of
"maintenance" by our IT-people.

uname -a:
FreeBSD daemonbox.hostname.no 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #1: Thu Apr
4 09:43:50 CEST 2002
boh@daemonbox.hostname.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DAEMONBOX  i386

Note: I did cvsup to RELENG_4 from RELENG_4_5 and recompiled both world
and kernel (with and without NFS - I'm no hacker, but I believe RPC has
to do with network (remote) procedure calls and NFS-support was some
kind of "last straw") to try and get past this problem.

As I said; apart from the recent move to RELENG_4 (world+kernel), I
haven't upgraded anything (not even sources or kernel) since a while
before this problem started (around the SSH-problem - February?).

I'll be glad to supply any additional information that might be of help.

--
Regards,
Bo