Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:12:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        petef@absolutbsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I handle a FreeBSD-specific tarball?

>Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:04:02 -0600
>From: Pete Fritchman <petef@absolutbsd.org>

>You want DISTNAME.

>DISTNAME=       ${PORTNAME}_FreeBSD-${PORTVERSION}

Ah; thanks!

>(and ".${EXTRACT_SUFX}" will be automatically added; you'd need to
>include it if you were modifying ${DISTFILES}.)

Would it be better/worse/blue/...? to (only) specify EXTRACT_SUFX directly?

>| I have already tried suggesting that perhaps it would be easier for
>| such (semi-)automated approaches as the ports collection to make the
>| "gpsman-60.tgz" file the one that doesn't change. and create a
>| "-bleeding_edge" variant for folks who are doing things by hand.  That
>| appears to be an option that he does not find acceptable (for reasons
>| I fail to understand or appreciate).

>He should learn that once you _release_ something, you don't change it.
>You release a new version :-)  Most people can't seem to comprehend
>that, for some reason.  Oh well.

Right.  :-}  I just maintain the port; he's the author....

Thanks again,
david       (links to my resume at http://www.catwhisker.org/~david)
I strive to make networks of computers that work.  Thus, I avoid the use of
Microsoft products:  I am not a masochist, and I know that choices exist.