Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:58:07 -0800
From:      "Evan Dower" <evantd@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   hostname and dhcp

I've actually been running FreeBSD for quite a while now, but I've never
known exactly how to handle this. In rc.conf, one must specify a hostname.
If you're using DHCP to set up your network though, your FQDN (fully
qualified domain name) can change without notice. It seems like a Good Idea
to have your hostname be your FQDN, since some things will do a reverse
lookup on your IP to verify that it matches the hostname you supplied. In
particular I'm thinking of SMTP servers here. (send-pr doesn't work for me
because my mail gets rejected.) So, when you're autoconfiguring your network
interfaces, what should you put in rc.conf's hostname variable? Is there
something else I can do that would allow me to have something nicer looking,
but still send my FQDN when asked?
Thanks very much,
--
Evan Dower
Undergraduate, Computer Science

Check out the great features of the new MSN 9 Dial-up, with the MSN Dial-up
Accelerator. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/