Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:06:24 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "Thor Legvold" <tlegvold@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Network setup questions

Thor,

I did not find it necessary to use netgraph, and I am not sure what the
differences are between ppp and pptp.  If ppp is of no use to you then
ignore the rest of this message.

I'll give a few vague hints as it is a while since I did this, and I have
subsequently stopped using it.

I used a 4.3 box to gateway to my dial-up ISP.

I did "man ppp", and played with what I learned there.  I had it working
pretty quickly just plugging my modem into the first serial port on the box.
I seem to recall that I used the -auto and -nat features.  This way the box
will dial automatically whenever you try to connect, and it will NAT your
traffic depending on what IP the ISP gives you for the session.  I also ran
ipfw for firewall, but since ppp does nat, I had no need to use natd.

You need to set up a ppp.conf file which has telephone numbers, login,
password, time-out periods, etc.  The man page explains it quite nicely.

Finally, I set my LAN IPs in the 10.0.0.0/24 range.  The NIC on the gateway
box was 10.0.0.1, and other PCs recorded 10.0.0.1 as their default gateway.
I was able to simply open IE on my windoze PC, and the BSD box would dial
and connect immediately.

Patrick.