Date:      Wed, 8 May 2024 18:45:33 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Bojan_Novkovi=C4=87?= <bnovkov@freebsd.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        Current <current@freebsd.org>, alc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Graph of the FreeBSD memory fragmentation

Hi,

On 5/7/24 14:02, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I created some graphs of the memory fragmentation.
> https://www.leidinger.net/blog/2024/05/07/plotting-the-freebsd-memory-fragmentation/
>
> My goal was not comparing a specific change on a given benchmark, but
> to "have something which visualizes memory fragmentation". As part of
> that, Bojans commit
> https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit/?id=7a79d066976149349ecb90240d02eed0c4268737
> was just in the middle of my data collection. I have the impression
> that it made a positive difference in my non deterministic workload.
Thank you for working on this, the plots look great!
They provide a really clean visual overview of what's happening.
I'm working on another type of memory visualization which might interest
you, I'll share it with you once its done.
One small nit - the fragmentation index does not quantify fragmentation
for UMA buckets, but for page allocator freelists.
> Is there anything which prevents https://reviews.freebsd.org/D40575 to
> be committed?
D40575 is closely tied to the compaction patch (D40772) which is
currently on hold until another issue is solved (see D45046 and related
revisions for more details).
I didn't consider landing D40575 because of that, but I guess it could
be useful on its own.

Bojan