Date:      Fri, 18 May 2007 03:37:52 +0200
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
To:        "S. Roberts" <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
Cc:        chip.wiegand@simrad.com, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I set the resolution for a new monitor?

S. Roberts writes:

>I read through various books here (Handbook, Unleashed and Complete
>FreeBSD), but could find any references that actually addressed changing
>XF86 settings after initial installation.
>
>*Any* info would be appreciated here, In particular, I'm wondering about
>not messing up my configs for mouse and keyboard settings (MS Natural
>Pro Ergonomic). Its just the monitor resolution I need to set.
>
>I guess what I'm actually asking, is if its possible with XF86Config to
>just reset the resolution values to those of the new monitor.

Well, the canonical work to do here probably is to change the
parameters of the "Monitor" section in XF86Config to match your new
monitor (you have to look up the specs in your monitor's handbook,
in the electrical specifications section, the interesting parts
here are the horizontal sync and vertical refresh ranges) and if
you got that right, then find a working modeline for the desired
resolution and refresh rate...
With XF3 I remember having a bit of a fiddling with non-standard
monitors and it apparently required that all modelines be specified
in the config file but with XF4, it seems to have a reasonable set
of default modelines built in (don't appear in XF86Config), and for
"standard" monitors (i.e., multisync,) just adding a "1280x1024"
(for example) entry in front of the respective Depth "Display"
subsection of the "Screen" subsection works well.
There might be GUI-tools that help in some way (or not) but I've
never used any of them if they exist and can't report on them.  I
strongly recommend you to install XFree86 4.x (from ports) but be
aware that the config file syntax has changed from 3.x and that
your card might not be supported, if it's an old exotic one.
The server config file is /etc/X11/XF86Config for XFree 4, older
versions used /etc/XF86Config, don't know if it's been standardized
on the /etc/X11 directory on newer FreeBSD releases for XF3 also.

--mkb