Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 12:09:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Graham Bignell <lorax@entire.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   adaptec 78xx & 3c905TX <- Installing onto.

	Hello,

	I want to install FreeBSD on a system (detailed below) that has
an on-board adaptec 7800 family SCSI controller as well as a 3com 3C905TX NIC,
I understand the 2.2.6 distribution does not support either but that I might have
luck with one of the 3.0 snapshots.   Could you place me on the path to an
install floppy that would work?  Can I build 3.0 over ftp?

System Details:

Asus P2B-LS board with onboard Adaptec 2940U controller (on boot I see
	a message about the 7890 BIOS.)
3Com 3C905TX 10/100 PCI NIC
EIDE CDrom  (on onboard eide)
HP Colorado 24i internal DAT.  (on 50pin scsi connector)
3 Quantum atlas II drives on the ultra 2 scsi connector.

	I guess an option is always to get a PCI scsi controller supported
by the 2.2.6 distribution (as well as a different NIC), but I am sure there
is another way... slow and painfull perhaps, but I am looking at it as an
opportunity to have a bleeding edge kernel.

	Problems.. I don't have any running freebsd machines I can use to help
build this one;  I have solaris on a sparc and various microsoft products
on another system (with the same type of NIC).

Any suggestions?

---
Graham