Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 11:25:52 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Benedikt Stockebrand <benedikt@devnull.ruhr.de>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fedup with Dumps & NC...

Hi,

Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:

> What *might* help is to use
>
>     (local)# dump [...] | dd bs=1k | nc [...]
>     (remote)# nc [...] | dd bs=1k of=/dev/nrst0
>
> to enforce block boundaries (but I wouldn't rely on it).  And try the
> -b option to dump, too.

I thought of this yesterday - and it appears to work... Why would this not be
'reliable'? - The only thing I can think of is if dd gets a number of 'short'
writes - it might do something nasty like pad the block (but from reading the
man pages I kinda think it will just keep doing short writes if it has to -
until either EOF or it's got enough to make a full block).

I've done about 8 successful dump & restores now using:

dump 0uaf - /usr2 | nc -w 40 rmote 4000

(and on the remote)

nc -w 40 -l -p 4000 | dd bs=32768 >/dev/nrst0

I decided to use 32k blocks as 'restore' previously complained "1648 is not a
multiple of dump's 1024k blocksize", and 32k blocks go a lot faster than
1k's... ;-)

I have another inline program I can run all this through that does encryption
& compression on one machine, and decryption & decompression on the other - I
just really want to keep it 'as simple as possible', and not have to setup
things like Amanda etc. on new systems just to do a restore... ;-)

> BTW, your msg had these headers:
> Either the date setting on lorca-tx is off by a couple days or your
> mail system needs daaays to deliver its stuff.

It got stuck in my mail queue... I run sendmail from inetd, and the copy
that's meant to run and dequeue the outgoing mail spool every 10 minutes got
killed :-) Ho hum... (re. Inetd, please don't ask it's a _long_
story...)

Regards,

Karl