Date:      Mon, 24 Oct 2016 20:52:11 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>
Cc:        Freebsd Questions <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: csh history search

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 14:22:37 -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> ping_ returns this message   ping_: Command not found
> % ping_ returns this message  %: Too many arguments

You need to use your imagination: the % just indicates
the C shell's prompt, and the underscore was meant to
represent the cursor on that line. :-)

	% _

therefore simply symbolized a user's csh with no text
entered so far. :-)

> What "subject" in the questions archive list should I search on to find
> the thread talking about searching the command history list?

I think it was related to "history search". I will search my
local archives... just a "little moment"... okay, I think I
found something: thread "minor vi/vim qstn" from 09/2013

This is the result which you can turn into an alias or a
shell script:

	history 10 | awk 'BEGIN {histcmds=10} {printf("\t%2d\t%s\n", -(histcmds-i), $0); i++}' | grep -v "histcmds"

The initial purpose (which I forgot) was to output the
"statement numbers" (for the "!<number>" command), finally
as a precmd command (printed before the next prompt).
With an additional grep added, this could be useful so
you don't get "overwhelmed" by too many search results.
By inserting a "non-standard identifier" into the sed
part you can probably deal even better with possible
false positives.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany