Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 07:32:41 -0600
From:      "Duke Normandin" <dnormandin@freewwweb.com>
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail and DNS

On Thursday, June 22, 2000 9:57 PM Crist J. Clark <cristjc@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 12:58:49PM -0600, Duke Normandin wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>> Would you know of a web reference that would explain the diff.
>> between dns / reverse-dns. I'm also assuming that
>> lookups / reverse-lookups refer to the same thing. Tia...
>
>Yes and no. You need a different set of records to do reverse-lookups,
>but the basic principles are the same.
>
>You have an entry like,
>
>  zone "57.177.205.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
>          type master;
>          file "57.177.05.rev";
>  };
>
>In named.conf and records that look like,
>
>  156      IN      PTR     scully.gothwolrd.com.
>
>This.
>
>As for docs, DNS is a tricky beast. I assume you've been to
>www.isc.org?

I didn't find www.isc.org very useful. However, for those interested,
I did find the following:
http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/docs/

http://www.riherds.com illustrated reverse-dns "in action". I now also
understand the converse as well.

In my newbie gropings with Unix, I've stumbled across the fact that
applications such as sendmail and ppp cna be configured to do dns
lookups. Could you indicate when reverse-dns is/must be used, and
by what applications.

Chris Martino also has what seems to be a good article on the subject
at: http://www.weirdo.net/freebsd/dns/

Thanks for your help!

-duke