Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2007 09:09:24 +0530
From:      Girish Venkatachalam <girishvenkatachalam@gmail.com>
To:        Karol Kwiatkowski <karol.kwiat@gmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: skype with garbled characters

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 07:37:42PM +0200, Karol Kwiatkowski wrote:
> Girish Venkatachalam wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> >       I am not able to use skype with FreeBSD 6.2.
> >
> >       It installs fine after a CVSup of the ports tree.
> >
> >       But whenever I try to run it, I get a screen like this.
> >
> >       http://koushikn.fastmail.fm/skype.png
> >
> >       All my efforts at resolving failed.
>
> Hello Girish,
>
> I've had similar problem[1] some time ago and it was solved since then.
> Anyway, can you check your fonts.conf file? It should output something
> like this:
>
> % $ grep dir  /usr/compat/linux/etc/fonts/fonts.conf
> % <!-- Font directory list -->
> %         <dir>/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts</dir>
> %         <dir>~/.fonts</dir>
>
> In my case fonts are located in /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts. What about
> your setup?
>
> If that's the problem recompiling x11-fonts/linux-fontconfig should take
> care of it.

Dear Karol,

I got it working!

Many thanks!

The issue was this.

# cd /usr/ports/x11-fonts/xorg-fonts
# make install

I had missed this step. This installed fonts under
/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts

I guess the default dependency tree for skype does not include this.

I wonder how to submit a patch for this.

I have always enjoyed using skype under FreeBSD much more than linux. :)

That way I don't have to use linux. :)

Thanks once again.

regards,
Girish