Date:      Mon, 01 Feb 1999 18:24:59 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more modular rc/init/uninit system...

David Wolfskill wrote:

> Daniel C. Sobral muttered:
>
> >Yeah, and having to change my ppp dial on demand script everytime I
> >add something that depends on it. Scripts shouldn't have to be
> >changed. That's the main benefit of FreeBSD's rc.conf.

If you're using user-mode PPP, you certainly wouldn't have to change
the script, just which target you call in the PPP configuration.

> So switch the logic:  the "foo" script should be able to tell a
> sufficiently interested inquirer what services it depends on.

I thought this was obvious, thus the long discussion about tools to
manage dependency graphs.

> If some of those have additional dependencies... well, I think we know
> how to do transitive closure on such dependency graphs.

Even if "we" don't, tsort does.  Ain't UNIX wunnerful?

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                     +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                  wes@softweyr.com