Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:09:57 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        C J Michaels <cjm2@earthling.net>
Cc:        Kiril Mitev <kiril@ideaglobal.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "your system is too old" ??

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 01:18:33PM -0500, C J Michaels wrote:
> Who are you building the port as?  a regular user or as root?
>
> If not as root, try building it as root, because I had this exact same
> problem when I ran mergemaster with a umask of 0077.  There is a file in
> /etc that make needs to be able to read, I can't remember the exact name at
> the moment.  It contains the current version number of your FreeBSD.  Maybe
> someone else on the list knows which file it is.

  /var/db/port.mkversion

In /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk,

  .if ${OSVERSION} >= 300000
  # You need an upgrade kit or make world newer than this
  BSDPORTMKVERSION=       20000201
  .if exists(/var/db/port.mkversion)
  VERSIONFILE=    /var/db/port.mkversion
  .else
  VERSIONFILE=    ${PKG_DBDIR}/.mkversion
  .endif
  .if exists(${VERSIONFILE})
  .if !defined(SYSTEMVERSION)
  SYSTEMVERSION!= cat ${VERSIONFILE}
  .endif
  .else
  SYSTEMVERSION=  0
  .endif
  .if ${BSDPORTMKVERSION} > ${SYSTEMVERSION}
  IGNORE= ": Your system is too old to use this bsd.port.mk.  You need a fresh make world or an upgrade kit.  Please go to http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/ or a mirror site and follow the instructions"
  .endif
  .endif