Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 21:52:05 -0400
From:      "Eric R. Allen" <105443.1651@compuserve.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <Freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   error mounting

To whomever can help,

I'm installing FreeBSD from CDrom and after working through the
installation in Novice mode I get the following errors:

"Error mounting /dev/matcd0c on /dist: Input/output error (5) (100%)"

which is then followed by:

"Unable to initialize selected media.  Would you like to adjust your media
configuration and try again?"

I've played with the IRQ and Port and recieved different errors.  I don't
think that's the problem because when I watch the hardware probe it seems
to find the CD.  I have a Matsushita/Panasonic CD-ROM and I saw the
material on page 85 (chpt 6) of the manual warning about potential address
problems, but I don't think that's it because of what I observed above.

The probe seems to find dev named "matcdc0" and the error message refers to
dev "matcd0c" is it possible the code has a typo?

Please let me know what to try next.

Thanks in advance,
Eric Allen