Date:      Fri, 8 May 1998 10:27:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        CharIesFox <CharIesFox@aol.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help?

On Fri, 8 May 1998, CharIesFox wrote:

>excuse me i have window's 95 intalled and tryed to install FreeBSD 2.2.6 And
>Stopded Becuase Even though i have WELL well over 600 meg's free your program
>Only Detect's 3 Sector's on ethat has 6 Bytes (haha.. never ever gonna fit it
>there) and another one Meg Sector' and then the Main 2000+ Meg Sector... But
>if i install to the main sector with the 2000 i'm not sure if it will delete
>my Files. Could u help or direct me to someone that can

Please use proper capitalization and punctuation to get best results from
this mailing list. Also, please do not cross post your mail. It is almost
never appropriate to cross post messages in almost every forum on the net.

FreeBSD probably found a few unused sectors at the very "end" of your disk
that DOS was not using.

You may have 600 meg free. Is that 600 meg in a seperate partition?
You must have a free DOS partition to install FreeBSD. That partition must
have sufficient space for FreeBSD.

If you install to the "main 2000 MB sector" (partition is more accurate
wording) you _WILL_ wipe out your win95 installation.

The trick is to make a new partition without loosing your win95 install.
Exercise care when partitioning. I recommend a complete backup!

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

Thank you,       | Try some of this. It will show you where you're at.
Jason Wells	 | http://www.freebsd.org/