Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 14:32:05 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Daniel Ruthardt <daniel@dowee.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP Masquerading

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 10:55:54PM +0100, Daniel Ruthardt wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a FreeBSD server (FreeBSD 4.0) connected to the internet directly
> thruw ethernet. There are 2 ohter PCs connected to the server using an IP
> alias on the same NIC which is connected to the internet. Although i am
> using the squid proxy server, it would be great to have full access to the
> internet on the other 2 PCs too. I've heard about IP masquerading and i know
> how it works, so i tried to get IP masquerading working on my FreeBSD
> server, but it didn't work. I did everything described in the tuturial on
> the FreeBSD site, but it didn't work.

What's IP masquerading?

> I built the custom kernel, switched on
> the firewall, set the firewall type to open, added the ipfw rules for natd,
> changed the standard gateway on the other 2 PCs and tried if something
> worked, but no results, everything was exactly as before, 2 PCs with no
> direct connection to the Internet.

Oh, you want to do NAT.

> Does anybody of you know where I can find a better configuration guide than
> the one on the FreeBSD site? Or does anybody of you know what i've done
> wrong, what could have been possible errors?

We might be able to help you figure out what you may have done wrong
if you gave us some details on what you did. Some things that would
help there:

  $ cat /etc/rc.conf
  $ fgrep 'IP packet filtering' /var/run/dmesg.boot
  $ ifconfig -a
  $ ipfw show

If you have a natd.conf file,

  $ cat natd.conf

If you have made a custom firewall script (the distributed rc.firewall
script should work out of the box with natd(8) and an "OPEN" setting),
please include that.