Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 21:16:39 -0700
From:      "Francis J. Bruening" <francis.j.bruening@bigfoot.com>
To:        "freebsd" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <fetchmail-friends@ccil.org>
Subject:   fetchmail config problem?!? more info

All,

thanks for the various suggestions, I think this is closer to
working, but I'm still getting hung up on the SMTP timeout..

Some info

- FreeBSD 3.3
- Fetchmail (most current version, from 3.3 port)

Setup:

My machine is connected to an ISP via cable. (@HOME)
	mail server = "mail"
	POP3 / SMTP

I'm trying to use fetchmail / sendmail, with all my POP mail coming
to 1 user under FreeBSD.

Problem:

When testing fetchmail from fetchmailconf, the app hangs for a few
minutes, and then I get the following diagnostic info.

...25 mails queued for fjb
..
.. info on each mail message queued

fetchmail: pop3< +OK 3097 octets
reading message 1 of 25 (3097) octets
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed
fetchmail: pop3> QUIT/r
fetchmail: pop3<
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error during fetch
fetchmail: query status=10

My RC file.

set postmaster fjb
set bouncemail
set properties ""
set daemon 10
pop mail via "mail"
   with proto pop3
      user "myusername" there with password "mypw" is fjb here

Other info:

I'm not sendmail literate, but I followed the testing of SM in the
complete FreeBSD, and I'm able to successfully issue the cmds:

echo "testing" | mail -v -s "test" fjb@localhost
echo "testing" | mail -v -s "test" fjbruening@home.com (my ISP)

Both of these get sent successfully...

Any ideas or suggestions? I'm getting really tired of booting into
windows to send mail to debug this ... :)

thanks in advance!

Regards

Francis Bruening
FreeBSD newbie, but having a ball.