Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 1997 11:49:37 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeff Lynch <jeff@mercury.jorsm.com>
To:        "Mr. Anthony Capone" <capone@cap1.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Books

On Sat, 13 Sep 1997, Mr. Anthony Capone wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good book for setting up Freebsd as a Server for
> ISPs. Eg, dialup clients with authenication via RADIUS, setting up ppp,
> dns, with static and dynamic ppp routes and so on...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Anthony Capone     -      capone@cap1.net
> CEO/Network Anaylst
> Cap1 Online
> Sales - sales@cap1.net
> Techincal Support - support@cap1.net
> Phone (416) 241-9092       Fax (416) 241-9092
> ** Toronto's Newest Internet Service **

This is my OPINION. Feel free to add your opinions, but flames >/dev/null.

I don't think books on this subject are very practical. Things change
pretty quickly. If you break down the task into smaller questions,
and ask for pointers to FAQs and tar distributions (most have pretty
good readmes and install info), you'll be able to get what you need.
Join any mail lists for the software and equipment you use and ask
for help, but rt any fms, of course before you do.

Get the system up on your network first, then get the other
services going piecemeal, read the man pages, FAQs, etc... If a
fairly comprehensive, up to date reference exists, I'd like to know
about it so I can give it to my junior SAs. This is geek city and
you need to get good at extracting the latest from mailing lists
and ftp distributions. I use some of the ports and packages, but I have
developed a strategy for managing change that I haven't been comfortable
placing in the hands of any OS vendor. OS upgrades are a pain in the
a** and most vendors don't spend much time making sure you get
it done without considerable  breakage.

The exception to this are the zoo books from Orielly&Associates
for things like DNS&Bind, sendmail and security topics. Books usually
lag behind by a few releases and help build a knowlegde base, but
IMNSHO you gotta have major hands-on the critical services to stay in
step.

I've probably gone overboard on the question, and the original poster
may already know this, but managing change is arguably the MOST important
task of the sysadmin. To properly do this over a sustained time period,
and we all want to be in business for a long time, you have to know about
everything else.

Jeffrey A. Lynch, President		      JORSM Internet
email: jeff@jorsm.com		Northwest Indiana's Full-Service Provider
Voice: (219)322-2180		   927 Sheffield Avenue, Dyer, IN 46311
Autoresponse: info@jorsm.com		   http://www.jorsm.com