Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 11:42:58 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, kaleb@x.org
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

In message <214.813831228@critter.tfs.com> Poul-Henning Kamp writes:

>> >Yes, bloat is added even when ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE isn't set.  Bloat is
>> >added even when no ctype function is called (this is normal for most
>> >programs in /bin and /sbin - grep shows "ctype.h" in only 25 out of 80
>> >programs in /usr/src/[s]bin.
>>
>> It isn't accurate results. Many libc functions calls ctype
>> indirecly, i.e. strtol, atoi, etc. You additionly need
>> to grep ctype through libc and then grep function you got
>> through bin/sbin. I suspect that 100% of programs use ctype
>> for accurate results.

>Andrey, you have to realize that Bruce reported precise numbers, whereas
>you just "suspect".  Please prove you point, and provide hard numbers.

Ok, I'll do described steps by myself.

>> 2) We already discuss that bloat on early days and agree
>> let it be.
>No, we agreed to let it stay in crt0.s until it had been put the right
>place.  crt0.s is NEVER the right place.

I don't think so.

>> 3) I don't see proper way to avoid it for statically compiled
>> pgms, so I don't understand what we can discuss here. Yes
>> it isn't very good. Alternatives?
>Put it in the programs that need it.  And only there.

Do you really plan to convert all system and ports collection by inserting
reduced setlocale call there? All ctype programs need it expect few
ones which call setlocale by itself.

I assume you something write/read with not pure english only. If so
you can easily feel advantage of my method when all programs at one time
fully understand your native language (ISO_8859-1 fits?).

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -