Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 01:27:43 -0600
From:      "Sivar" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        "Sam Suh" <sam@bigstudios.com>, "Korey Pelton" <peltkore@hotmail.com>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: modem not detected by probe- Not WinModem

Please forgive any MIME headers in this email:

| Korey Pelton wrote:
| >
| > Hello Everyone,
| >
| > Is there something that I need to include in
| > my kernel config file in order for my US
| > Robotics 56k internal PCI modem to be detected
| > by the FreeBSD 4.0 device probe?  The modem is
| > currently called an "unknown card" in my dmesg.
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Korey
|
| Hi, Korey.
|
| Check the www.freebsd.org for compatibility of this modem card. I am
| pretty sure it is "winmodem", not real hardware modem. If it is
| "winmodem", then you are out of luck. Don't blame freeBSD though. This
| kind of card will give you hard time even with Windows NT or 2000(Yuck!)
| or linux, unless vendor had provided the driver for them.

Addendum to Korey's email, his modem is a US Robotics Performance Pro -- Not
a winmodem and not a hybrid hardware/software modem. The USR PP is a full
100% hardware controller-based modem.
I have had it work in SuSE with no special config. (Not that this makes it a
hardware MODEM, the actual specs say that it is a hardware modem--as
hardware as a USR Courier internal purchased in 1993 before Winmodems really
came about). The problem seems to be that FreeBSD doesn't want to believe
that the modem is a serial controller. It makes a "COM5" in DOS terms, as do
most internal modems. Seeing as how I have never configured any modem in
FreeBSD--I just use ethernet--I really have no idea how to help past the
handbook.

Here is a quote from US Robotics webpage,
www.usr.com/products/home/home-product.asp?sku=3CP5610A (and other parts of
the page)

"You'll also appreciate the flexibility of the Performance Pro Modem. The
integrated controller supports DOS and Linux as well as Windows, so you can
work with a wide range of applications. "

"Controller-based for superior performance. Powerful communication
processing functions are built into the modem itself; no need to tie up your
computer's resources. "

"Works with MS-DOS, Linux and Windows. Supports major operating systems;
you're not limited to Windows applications. "

Not a Winmodem. Really.

Charles Burns