Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 01:36:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Development <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        John Kelly <mouth@ibm.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Subject:   Re: Sharing interrupts

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, FreeBSD Development wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, John Kelly wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 28 Jul 1997 10:38:32 -0700 (MST), Terry Lambert  wrote:
> >
> > > You can not share interrupts with ISA cards.  Period.
> >
> You can share interrupts, but not use both SIMULTANEOUSLY. A very good
> example would be to have LPT1: and a sound card on IRQ7 (both ISA). As
> long as they have unique base addresses (0x378h and 0x220 for instance),
> both devices can coexist. You just can't use them at the same time
> without conflicting. Sharing IRQs is definitely not recommend, but I believe
> your statement may require a bit more qualifying.

You must be _very_ innocent.  Terry is right on the money here.  Go ahead,
share your irq 7.  Then you can join the large group of FreeBSDers who
claim the printer driver's broken (it isn't).

That's not fair, I'm too tired and shouldn't be so harsh, but really,
Terry _is_ right here, there are strong hardware reasons that it's so.
I'll let Terry respond, he seems to like typing more than I.

> Kevin

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |