Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 1996 22:11:54 -0300 (ADT)
From:      Peter Howlett <phowlett@ASG.unb.ca>
To:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
Cc:        FREEBSD-SECURITY-L <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sudo

On Tue, 9 Jul 1996, Brian Tao wrote:

>     What are people's feelings towards the "sudo" utility?  Is it
> really all that usefull, or does it just open up a lot of potential
> avenues of attack and abuse?  Some of our co-located customers want to
> have it installed so they can do some root-privileged stuff, instead
> of getting us to do it all the time (even though that's what they pay
> us to do).

We use sudo here at the office. It can be useful, but you do have
to be _very_ careful with it. Allowing someome to sudo a vi
session for instance grants root access. (:!/bin/sh) There are
of course many other more obscure ways of getting a root shell
as well, depending on what you allow in the sudoers file. We've
seen people even sudoing shell scripts that are world writable
for instance.

As far as security holes are concerned, I have not heard of any,
but that doesnt mean they dont exist... We use sudo more to keep
our less educated users from requiring root for basic things
like enabling the print queues on the office printers, etc...
Its also handy for allowing regular admins to use their own
shells and environments for doing root type things if you
can sudo a shell.

I personally wouldnt use it on a machine that has the possiblity
of housing accounts of questionable intergrity. Its easy to
not be paying enough attention to it, especially if you are a
busy admin (is there any other kind?)

Peter Howlett				Atlantic Systems Group
E-Mail: Peter.Howlett@ASG.unb.ca	Fredericton, N.B. Canada
http://www.ASG.unb.ca/personal/ph.html	Phone: (506) 447-3050
PGP Key ID: 60F2EEC1			Fax:   (506) 453-5004