Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2001 01:30:58 -0400
From:      David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=B2=D8=E2=D0=DB=D8=D9_=BA=E0=DE=DF=DA=DE?= <V_Kropko@ucca.ukrpack.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: support

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 11:06:21AM +0300, Виталий Кропко wrote:
> Good day!
>
> I want you to answer some questions.
>
> 1.Where I could get full distributive (with
> packages and ports) of FreeBSD (in Ukraine, in
> Russia; on CD-ROM, on download of any
> web-site)?
see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors.html
I like the iso installation - obtained from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/

How many space would this
> distributive occupied?
> 2.How many space would full installation of
> FreeBSD occupied?

It really depends on how much you have installed, but I would set
aside at least 3 or 4 gigs for the system, X, and supplementary
packages. I have 20 gig, and i run at about 30% capacity
with tons of stuff loaded.

> 3.What is term "ports" means? What is term
Ports is a system within FreeBSD where open source type software
it installations arepre-configured to run under FreeBSD.
There are thousands of packages,
and all it takes to load and compile each is a simple command,
usually "make install". If dependant packages are needed the ports
system, goes and gets them, compiles them, and installs them, all
without any user interaction required.
It is really a wonderful system, and i have not seen anything like
it in my experience.

> "packages" means?
I would term package just that. Software.

> 4.Does FreeBSD have applications like
> windows' applications as MS Word, MS Excel,
> file managers, games (card games, adventures,
> 3D-action and others) and others programs?

Yes. At first glance, they look just as professional.
There is not an exact replacement for all Windows packages though.

It all depends on your reason for getting into it, I guess.
FreeBSD tends to be a less hand-holding experence, than some
other systems.
I got into FreeBSD as an educational exercise, and have found the
experiece extremely rewarding.
What is really great about FreeBSD in my view, is that there is
really only *one* distribution source. Hence, the users are all
tied together, and you get to know, via the mail list, who is knowledgeable
about what.