Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 22:40:55 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Tiny starter configuration for FreeBSD

Andrew writes:

> Guess someone pirated Shockwave to France and
> it multiplied.

No, but France is extremely backwards when it comes to the Web, and quite
clueless about Web design.  It simply doesn't not occur to webmasters that many
visitors might not be interested in downloading a two-megabyte, thirty-minute
music video just to enter their sites.  I guess they've never visited Yahoo.

> During boot, you'll get a line saying:
>
> Additional ABI support: linux

I see the line, but it doesn't say linux; I guess I don't have it installed,
then.

> and possibly a line saying:
>
> Linux-ELF exec handler installed.

Not present.

So what do I have to do to add it?  It doesn't increase overhead for non-Linux
stuff, I hope?

Is it essential for running Linux binaries, or will they usually run without it?
And if it's not installed, does it destabilize the system to try to run Linux
binaries?