Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:24:22 -0700
From:      "Michael K. Smith" <mksmith@noanet.net>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Lots of input errors...

On 6/27/03 12:29 PM, "Shawn Ramsey" <shawn@cpl.net> wrote:

>> Hello:
>>
>> Judging from your output I would say two things:
>>
>> 1) You have a bad cable.  CRC and framing errors are usually a result of
> bad
>> media.
>> 2) You should set the port to auto/auto, not 100/Full hard set, unless you
>> have specifically set that up in rc.conf.  If one side is hard set and the
>> other is set to auto, you will see lots of runts because of a duplex
>> mismatch.  I think the RFC states you have to go to half duplex if you are
>> autosensing and the other side doesn't respond, which is the case if it's
>> hard set.
>
> Ok.. It is set hard to 100BT/FD on both ends. I don't know if you saw this,
> but since resetting the stats a few hours ago, it shows no errors at all on
> their end, but were still getting errors on our end... The CRC and frame
> errors could have been from a media mismatch when things were first setup.
> Im not sure if the stats have ever been reset. Assuming the errors stay at
> zero on their end, any ideas? Am going to try another server/router, and if
> things look better, start replacing hardware on this router...

I would say the physical wire is probably bad.  Seeing unidirectional errors
in this case wouldn't be uncommon; one of the pair of the receive wires may
have issues.  Have you swapped the cable?  Most of the time you won't see
framing errors related to duplex mismatching.

Also, although this sounds contrary to sane thinking about hard coding of
duplex and speed, the Cisco will do better autosensing if you are using an
Intel ethernet card on the server.  I'm not sure why, but I've seen this
happen in the past.

Mike
--
Michael K. Smith          NoaNet
206.219.7116 (work)       206.579.8360 (cell)