Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 20:59:20 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>, Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: text mode screen grabber?

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 12:10:42AM +0900, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:
> >Has anyone got (or have pointers to useful code) a screen grabber for
> >syscons? Ideally (and given an 80x25 screen) I'm looking for something
> >that would write a 4000 byte file of { character code, colour } tuples.
> [...]
>
> Have you considered script(1), a standard command, or `screen', which
> is in the port collection, I expect?

Yes. They don't seem to capture colours. In a simple format (simple ==
2 bytes per character, 1 byte = character code, 1 byte = colour code).

[ ioctl() snipped ]

> >I've had a look at the syscons code, and some of the screen savers, but
> >nothing's leaping out at me saying "Here, this is where the screen
> >buffer is. . .".
>
> No, I don't think you should directly read the internal data structure.
> Its format may be different between versions.

True enough. I hasten to point out that I'm not trying to write something
for wide distribution (at the moment). This is just something to make
the FreeBSD Documentation a little more user friendly.

After poking a bit more through syscons.c, I think I should be able
to implement something like "press 'D' to dump the current screen to
/tmp/syscons.dump" or similar.

Cheers,

	    C.R.F. Consulting -- we're run to make me richer. . .