Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 1996 00:22:56 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        owensc@enc.edu (Charles Owens)
Cc:        julian@whistle.com, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, ben@narcissus.ml.org
Subject:   Re: multi-group file access techniques / directory hardlinks

[Sorry about the previous message, which got away before it was ready.]

Charles Owens wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Dec 1996, Julian Elischer wrote:
>
> > Charles Owens wrote:
> >
> > >    1. The file system does in fact support directory hardlinks.  (This is
> > >         true at least to some extent, since the '.' and '..' entries are,
> > >         in fact, directory hardlinks.)
> >
> > see below.
[ ... ]

> > > Am I correct here?  Would someone in the know provide clarification?
> >
> > the KERNEL now disallows the 'link' operation on directories.
>
> Ok... that's very clear, but a bit terse. :-)  What I'm digging for above
> is an expression of the rationale for this disabling (_not_ that I
> disagree).  I certainly can see that directory hard linking should be
> disabled as long as support in the basic tools (rm, rmdir, fsck) is
> incomplete (otherwise it's a major head-ache for the user).  ...But if the
> tool support was made complete I'm not so sure that this kernal disabling
> is the way to go.  Perhaps there could be a options flag in the kernal
> config file to force directory linking to be allowed for those who need
> it.

One fundamental limitation is the deadlock detection scheme in
ufs_lookup, which can't handle hard links which point towards the
root of the file tree.  (`..' is treated as a special case.)
Generalized detection of backward links would require different,
and more complex, handling of LOCKPARENT cases.

--
Robert Nordier