Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 06:47:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mvh@ix.netcom.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/12340: /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk+-1.2.3 and /usr/ports/devel/glib12 fail to install

>Number:         12340
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk+-1.2.3 and /usr/ports/devel/glib12 fail to install
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
I am unable to install /usr/ports/graphics/gimp1 because the install
always fails to properly install or check /usr/ports/devel/glib12.
The library is apparently installed as libglib-12.so.2 but all of the
scripts seem to check for libglib12.2.  This causes the port to try
to install /usr/ports/devel/glib12 again, which fails because it is
already installed.

snipped from a make of gimp1:

===>  Extracting for gimp-1.1.5
===>   gimp-1.1.5 depends on shared library: jpeg.9 - found
===>   gimp-1.1.5 depends on shared library: gtk12.2 - not found
===>    Verifying install for gtk12.2 in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk12
===>  Extracting for gtk-1.2.3
>How-To-Repeat:
on a fresh 3.2-stable system try to install /usr/ports/graphics/gimp1.
>Fix:
Possibly the Gnu naming conventions have changed to add a '-' to the
library names, or something else has changed which affects this.  I'm
not sure exactly where the problem likes, but the fix is probably
either removing the '-' from the library names, or adding a '-' to the
makefiles of the ports which depend on this library.  I'm not sure
what happened as I was able to build gimp a month or so ago, I think.

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
 >> Checksum OK for gtk+-1.2.3.tar.gz
 Making all in docs
 cp glib-config.1 glib12-config.1
 ===>  Installing for glib-1.2.3
 ===>  glib-1.2.3 is already installed - perhaps an older version?
       If so, you may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install
       this port again by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
       If you really wish to overwrite the old port of glib-1.2.3
       without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
       in your environment or the "make install" command line.
 *** Error code 1

 Stop.
 *** Error code 1