Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:57:25 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        wpaul@freebsd.org
Subject:   space for chip descriptors in mbuf ?

It seems to me that most of the bus-master based network cards use
some kind of "packet descriptor" for describing a slice of data in
RAM.  At least in the drivers I've been working on, one such
descriptor is needed for every mbuf (not per packet!) sent or
received.

Is it time to add space in the mbuf for this overhead, rather than
have every single driver allocate these petite data structures for
every mbuf they touch ?

Something like 16 bytes should cover most chips I know of, but I'm
sure Bill Paul has a better census on what ethernet chips seem to
prefer for this size ?

I have examined the packet-size histogram of trafic in the AS6785
network and I find:

	MLEN	delta	% short packets
	236     0	50.8504
	220     -16	50.4915
	216     -20	50.3645
	212     -24	50.2045
	208     -28	49.9585
	204     -32	49.5745
	200     -36	49.3126

FreeBSD coreteam member | BSD since 4.3-tahoe