Date:      Mon, 01 May 2000 17:37:47 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?

>On Mon, 01 May 2000 17:20:57 PDT, Mike Smith wrote:
>>>    There are other issues to consider when thinking about software RAID-5. The
>>> most important of these is the (lack of) non-volatile write-back cache.
>>This is definitely a kicker.
>
>Um - UPS?  I ask because power just went out here for a few minutes, and
>upsd nicely warned me and started to shutdown (but power came back on).

   ...and what if the system had crashed instead? Bottom line is that you will
probably lose your filesystem if you don't do write-through on a software
RAID implementation.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.