Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 04:03:14 +0100
From:      Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: flags settings for modules

On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 06:40:51PM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 03:22:16AM +0100, Andrea Campi wrote:
> > Why don't we make it a make(1) variable?
>
> I would like to fight the "lets make everything a tuneable knob" syndrom
> I think we've falling into lately.  First lets see if anyone really needs
> or wants those flag values.

Well, I understand your point of view, but in my opinion there are 2
user groups involved here: security conscious guys, who would like to
have all "immutable" files, including all binaries on /, all libraries,
whatever (heck, on production machines I'd have /etc/* schg), and more
casual users (or users with particular needs) who don't want that because
it incomodates that.

Apart from the kernel, where I feel schg should stay no matter what, I
feel both of these user groups have good reasons. Which one would you
favor?

Having a knob, probably defaulting to "only kernel schg" for POLA,
would be perfect and trivial to implement.

On the other hand, this kind of hardening is a candidate for
ports/misc/harden...

Bye,
	Andrea

--