Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 01:09:18 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "'Richard Grace'" <rgrace@aapt.com.au>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Problem with OpenSSL port

So what?  As long as you install the appropriate patches from
CERT into the RSA library and into SSH, it's as good as the
current Openssh stuff, it just won't support all of the
newer and fancier encryption algorithms.

>Solaris (among others) does not have a /dev/random.  You can
>substitute by using another sufficiently random device, or
>install a package which supplies a random device.  SUNWski
>comes to mind.

I've never understood this myself since Solaris was built for
Sparcs and they all have at least 1 on-board NIC in them, and
the Ethernet interrupt is probably one of the better suppliers
of randomness on a computer.  I know not having it can weaken
the security if the keys are sufficiently non-random.  I've built
ssh 1.2.27 on 2.5.1 without /dev/random before, but I didn't know
that Sun had written one for it.  What is the SUNWski package?