Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 2004 15:38:09 -0400
From:      Jem Matzan <valour@thejemreport.com>
To:        FreeBSD/AMD64 list <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0

	I had no trouble using this mouse with the i386 edition, but when I
switched to the AMD64 release the mouse became choppy and slow.
	It's a USB mouse with a PS/2 adapter, and it only works as PS/2 in
either 32-bit or 64-bit builds. Even though it's recognized properly in
the terminal, moused can't use it.
	Anyway, I'm using the same hardware, the same xorg.conf and the same
kernel config (adjusted for the change in architecture). Here's the
system:

Asus K8V Deluxe motherboard
Athlon 64 3200+ (OEM)
Corsair TwinX LL 1024MB DDR400 (2x512)
Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop (the above-mentioned mouse plus the
wireless natural keyboard -- these both go through their respective PS/2
ports)
Maxtor ATA133 120GB hard drive
Pioneer DVDRW
Albatron GeForce FX 5700 Ultra3 video card (AGP)
And that's all.

	Trying to load the mouse through a USB connection results in moused
claiming that the /dev/ums0 port is busy. moused detects the mouse in
PS/2 mode as IntelliMouse Explorer, but will only accept the Auto, PS/2
and SysMouse protocols. Other mice by Microsoft and Logitech work just
fine as USB or PS/2.
	Anyone have any ideas, or any ways I can further test the system to
narrow down the problem? I've tried Google and the archive and have not
seen anything at all on this, other than the note about it in my review
some months back. I checked CVS to see if there were any changes to the
moused source, but there didn't appear to be anything significant done
since 5.2.1-RELEASE.

--
Jem Matzan <valour@thejemreport.com>