Date:      Sat, 7 Feb 2004 06:03:27 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        kde@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make kdevelop-3.0.0 fails

--Boundary-02=_iGHJAg0WHVZb2h7

On Saturday 07 February 2004 04:38, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> Yes, compiling KDE with all the options has been a royal PITA today.
> Quite disappointed coming from a Desktop Gentoo install.

Perhaps you might want to be a little more detailed about the all the royal=
=20
PITA you experienced, so I and other kde@ folks have a chance to check what=
=20
we already caught and what we didn't. We're still analysing Kent's problem,=
=20
which is particularly difficult because nobody in our team can readily=20
reproduce it and it's the fallout of a very tricky, still not nailed-down=20
heisenbug related to file timestamps, gnu tar and linux-freebsd differences=
=20
which has caused much grief even in previous KDE releases.

=46WIW, since the initial commit of KDE 3.2.0 to the ports-collection, the=
=20
following critcal glitches (which somehow interfere with/prevent building)=
=20
have been fixed, in chronological order:

02.05:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=2D Initial commit

=2D devel/kdevelop: Stale patch removed [prevented compilation]

=2D kdesdk, kdeutils, kdepim: CONFLICTS added for a number of former standa=
lone
  addons for KDE 3.1.x

=2D CONFLICTS added for kdelibs: kdelibs-3.2.0 installs files with the same=
 name
  into the same location as did kdebase-3.1.x. Therefore, users are _requir=
ed_
  to _manually_ delete kdebase-3.1.x _before_ installing kdelibs-3.2.0.

=2D MASTER_SITE_SUBDIRS kde3-i18n-eo was corrected. Before the correction, =
the
  distfile could not be fetched.

02.06
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=2D A stale patch in kdeadmin was removed, which prevented compilation.

=2D The pkg-plist was corrected for kdemultimedia.

Known, still unresolved issues:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=2D Due to incorrectly reproduced timestamps of archived files from the
  kdevelop distfile, some users are unable to compile the kdevelop port.

=2D Due to FreeBSD 4.x' base-system perl being to old, kdesdk cannot build =
its
  manpages and installation of the port fails. Having the perl port install=
ed
  does not help things, unless the base perl pod2man command in /usr/bin/ is
  removed or /usr/bin is moved behind /usr/local/bin (the latter is NOT
  recommended!). This problem only exists on FreeBSD 4.x (and earlier).

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org